SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation with long-term, local presence in over 30 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our team of advisors works with local partners to equip communities and businesses with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services. SNV works across three sectors: Agriculture, Energy and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. Several international donors fund our programmes.
SNV’s work in the Agriculture sector focuses on the world’s 500 million smallholder farmers, particularly women and youth, who produce 70% of global food supply. SNV offers a suite of innovative solutions for smallholders, addressing systemic challenges in four themes: Sustainable Markets, Food & Nutrition Security, Climate Smart Agriculture and Women and Youth in Agriculture.
We work across a range of commodities, with a particular focus on dairy, livestock, horticulture, cassava, oil palm, coffee, cacao, and rice.
SNV’s work in nutrition is underpinned by Sustainable Nutrition 4 All product, an innovative approach that is newly developed by SNV, recognizes that tangible improvements in nutrition require the combined effort in the four integrated areas of demand creation, increased supply, behavior change and governance. It is built upon SNV's extensive experience and expertise in the fields of food security, nutrition, value chain development, climate smart agriculture, WASH and gender.
The approach achieves a thorough integration of nutrition-sensitive practices in the daily lives of communities up to governments at regional and national level. Triggering sessions at communities internalize the understanding of how agricultural practices and diet choices affect child growth, health and nutrition, and spark the community to take action. They are guided in adopting these new practices by capacity building on nutrition sensitive crop production, improved storage and processing techniques, and by facilitating access to inputs and markets. This will go together with behavior change sessions that further improve the household knowledge, attitudes and practices on good nutrition and dietary diversity, with a special focus on children and women. SNV also leverages an extensive network and evidence base to advocate for improved nutrition policy at local and national level, enabling the approach to be scaled and replicated.
SNV seeks a Nutrition Sensitive Agriculture Technical Advisor for an anticipated USAID-funded global multi-sectoral nutrition program. The goal of the program is to advance implementation of the USAID Multi-Sectoral Nutrition Strategy 2014-2025, which aims to improve human nutritional status and health outcomes. The program will provide technical support for country led scale up of effective, integrated, sustainable nutrition sensitive policies, programs and interventions.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline e.g. Agriculture, Agribusiness, Agricultural Economist, Rural Development;
- Proven track record with over 10 years of experience in the sector in an international, multi country context, including advisory work and knowledge development;
- Expertise and experience implementing complex donor funded gender aware nutrition sensitive agriculture programs;
- Excellent communication (writing and oral) skills, presentation and debating skills with experience in profiling an organization in an international setting;
- Strong international networks and engagement within global agriculture and nutrition networks, ie: SUN Network, SUN Business Network, Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN), Agrilinks;
- Experience working with sustainable and climate smart agricultural (CSA) practices, resilient food systems, and market driven agricultural value chains (horticulture, dairy, livestock, legumes);
- Experience with behavior change communications campaigns to improve dietary diversity and improve health and nutrition outcomes;
- Robust M&E experience for scaling up evidence based nutrition sensitive agriculture programs, policies and frameworks.
- Experience working with a diverse group of technically skilled experts within the context of a project team.
Ability to work effectively with multi-disciplinary teams linking agriculture, WASH and nutrition outcomes.
- Fluency in English required.
- Excellent oral and writing skills.
- Ability to interact regularly and professionally across cultures and languages.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and strong track record in meeting deliverables and deadlines.
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a highly professional and diverse working environment. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
Please note the position is contingent upon award. The anticipated start date is October 1, 2017. Please send you application before May 30, 2017.
Please APPLY ONLINE at: https://www.smartrecruiters.com/SNV/116402266-technical-advisor-nutrition-sensitive-agriculture