The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute. The institute, Headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and more than 1’000 staff.
JOB BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE
The postdoctoral or PhD fellow will be conducting research on environmental economics under the CORIGAP-PRO project. The vision of CORIGAP-PRO is to co-develop science-based tools to close yield gaps while protecting the environment, implement effective and widespread diffusion of project outputs, leading to improved production systems that increase the livelihoods of smallholder rice farmers and meet the increases in rice production required to maintain food security in Asia. The incumbent will use a combination of revealed preference techniques through hedonic pricing and dose-response production function approaches to assess the monetary value of the environmental benefits and ecosystem services provided by farmer groups adopting best practices for lowland irrigated rice production and meeting the sustainable rice cultivation guidelines in at least three countries. The incumbent will further provide policy support for key findings of his/her research. The CORIGAP-PRO project is co-financed by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Contribute to planning and implementation of a project research agenda and project output on environmental impact and value of best practices and ecosystem services for lowland irrigated rice production
- Collect, manage and analyze data on the monetary value of the environmental benefits and ecosystems services from outputs of the CORIGAP project
- Manage assigned activities in the project that include budget and time management
- Examine and document the social and economic factors that influence farmers investment in options for environmental benefits and ecosystems services
- Communicate effectively with project partners and other stakeholders to ensure research outputs are endorsed by key staff within the national systems
- Provide professional advice in field of knowledge when requested
- Work closely with national partners in Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand, plus key staff at IRRI Headquarters in the Philippines
- Maintain a database that meets the standards of data management required by IRRI
- Publish results of research in quality, international journals
- Attend at least one international conference and provide an oral presentation on key research outputs
- Supervise a small project team
Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor from time to time
- PhD or master in agricultural, environmental or resource economics,
- Demonstrated ability to perform in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
- Demonstrated ability to work well within a team
- Has excellent analytical skills
- Has excellent organizational skills
- Experience with environmental impact assessment; work experience in developing country are assets.
- Swiss resident or strong link to Switzerland
Commitment to Stakeholders
- Initiates and takes responsibility for assessing and responding to stakeholders’ needs.
- Keeps stakeholders informed of information and decisions affecting them
- Ensures adherence to quality service standards
- Gets comments or feedback on presented information
- Discusses and respects others’ views and opinions
- Uses appropriate communication tools
- Makes meaningful improvements to existing processes and routine methods
- Proposes simple mechanisms to collect ideas from diverse sources
- Applies innovative solutions to non-routine situations
- Sets standards to achieve results
- Tackles tasks in order of importance
- Takes necessary actions if commitments are not met
- Monitors own progress against objectives and plans
- 100 % employment for a 3 years duration
- Work location: Los Baños, the Philippines with travel in other Asian countries
- The successful candidate will receive a benefits package according to IRRI policy
The preselection of suitable candidates will be carried out by cinfo, Center for Information, Counselling and Training for Professions relating to International Cooperation. Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application online.
Should you have difficulties to apply online, please contact email@example.com.
For further information about this role please contact Beat Geiser, firstname.lastname@example.org; phone +41 32 366 54 19.